The Johannesburg Philharmonic Orchestra kicks off 2023 with a Valentine’s Gala Concert at Johannesburg’s Linder Auditorium this 11 February at 19:30.
The concert includes renowned South African violinist Zanta Hofmeyr and SAMA nominated singer Timothy Moloi, performing under the baton of conductor Daniel Boico. The JPO will also once again welcome their host for the evening, Miss South Africa 2020, Shudu Musida.
Boico’s innate musical sensitivity paired with a keen ear and deep musicianship have produced exciting performances with orchestras around the world. Under his direction, the Valentine’s Gala programme features romantic medleys for violin and orchestra from classical music favourites Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Wagner and a surprise ‘Frank Sinatra Medley’ to close with.
Violinist Hofmeyr is no stranger to Beethoven, having toured South Africa and the United States in performances of the 10 Beethoven sonatas for piano and violin. Her Valentine’s Gala performance of Beethoven’s ‘Romance no2‘ should be a particularly appealing highlight for her extensive recital repertoire.
Moloi has shared the stage with most of South Africa’s top orchestras and performed at many of the arts festivals in South Africa (as well as appearing in two of Janice Honeyman‘s Pantomimes). This February, the Johannesburg Philharmonic welcomes a familiar voice to the orchestra.
11 February 2023 | 19:30 | Linder Auditorium | Tickets
Conductor: Daniel Boico
Soloist: Zanta Hofmeyr (violin)
Soloist: Timothy Moloi (voice)
- Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart: The Marriage of Figaro Overture, K.492
- Ludwig van Beethoven: Romance no2 for violin and orchestra
- Pyotr Tchaikovsky: Sleeping Beauty – Pas de Deux “Adagio”
- Gordon Jenkins: WHEN I FALL IN LOVE
- Richard Wagner: ‘Prelude and Liebestod’ from Tristan and Isolde
- Georges Bizet: Carmen Suite
- Manuel de Falla: Spanish Dance for violin and orchestra
- Shostakovich: ‘Romance’ from The Gadfly Suite
- ‘Frank Sinatra Medley’