The museums of Tshwane have collaborated to celebrate International Museum Day, which is annually celebrated on 18 May.
Every year since 1977, ICOM has organised International Museum Day (IMD), which represents a unique moment for the international museum community. On this day, participating museums plan creative events and activities related to the International Museum Day theme, engage with their public and highlight the importance of the role of museums as institutions that serve society and its development.
International Museum Day 2021 will focus on ‘The Future of Museums: Recover and Reimagine’. This year, museums, their professionals and communities will create, imagine and share new practices of (co-) creation of value, new business models for cultural institutions and innovative solutions for the social, economic and environmental challenges of the present.
International Museum Day activities
The museums in Tshwane have planned a weeklong programme from 17 – 23 May 2021 that will also see most museums open for free to the public during those days. This will give an opportunity for all South Africans to take their families to experience what museums offer, be it entertainment or education.
Activities include temporary exhibitions, public lectures, webinar series and more. Find out the full list of activities over here.
Below, find out which museums and institutions are participating in International Museum Week.
- The City of Tshwane Museums including the Pretoria Art Museum, Melrose House and Fort Klapperkop
- DITSONG: Museums of South Africa including the National Museum of Natural History, National Museum of Cultural History, National Museum of Military History, Kruger Museum, Pioneer Museum, Sammy Marks Museum, Tswaing Meteorite Crater and Willem Prinsloo Agricultural Museum.
- Voortrekker: Monument and Nature Reserve
- Freedom Park
- Geoscience Museum
- South African Police Services Museum
- South African Post Office Museum
- South African Air Force Museum
- McHardy Museum
- University of Pretoria Museums
- Javett Art Centre: University of Pretoria
- Veterinary Historical Society of South Africa
- South African Mint
- Unisa Anthropology and Palaeontology Museum
For more information, contact Lemohang Zincume on firstname.lastname@example.org or on 076 418 8324.