In celebration of 22 years of uniquely Afro Symphonic music, RMB Starlight Classics invites audiences to enjoy a curated selection of their favourite performances by local and international artists through a new series.
Showcasing more than 30 local and international talents, the legendary RMB Starlight Classics shares some of its greatest hits on RMB’s YouTube channel. This series of four AfroSymphonic episodes, headlined RMB Starlight Classics Legacy Series, is available for immediate viewing.
A diverse range of legendary musical stars have graced the RMB Starlight Classics stage over the last 22 years, and this Legacy Series features a wide selection from:
- International stars – Siyabonga Maqungo, Nombulelo Yende, Gaston Rivero;
- Classical Steinway pianist – Charl du Plessis;
- AfroPop – internationally acclaimed Lira, Zoe Modiga, Zahara, Zolani Mahola, Mafikizolo, J’Something;
- SA rocker – Karen Zoid;
- Child protégé – Josh Bouwer;
- More magic conducted by Maestro Richard Cock, Brandon Phillips, Chad Hendricks, and Unathi Malunga.
Woven together from stellar performances recorded at the RMB Starlight Classics concerts held at the Johannesburg Country Club and Vergelegen Wine Estate in Somerset West, this four-episode 30-minute YouTube series is a reminder of the unifying power of the international language of music.
‘It’s vital to RMB – as it should be to all of us – to help sustain the creative economy at a time when the talented artists who give us so much joy, are prevented from bringing us together and inspiring us with their live performances. RMB Starlight Classics Legacy Series is a wonderful and broadly accessible reminder of a musically uplifted world.’RMB’s Carolynne Waterhouse
Episodes are available now to view and share at RMB Starlight Classics Legacy Series or on RMB’s YouTube channel, featuring the following artists and performances:
- New World Symphony – Charl du Plessis & the Johannesburg Festival Orchestra;
- Love Potion / Ndihamba Nawe – Mafikizolo & the Soweto Gospel Choir;
- Ah! Je veux vivre – Nombulelo Yende;
- Small Room – Karen Zoid & Afrikariz;
- Stars (Les Miserables) – Bongani Khubeka;
- I Will Survive – Thembeka Mnguni;
- Nessun Dorma – Gaston Rivero & The Chanticleer Singers.
- Toccata in D Minor – Charl du Plessis & the Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra;
- Ntjilo Ntjilo – Sunnyboy Dladla, Cecilia Rangwanasha & Lira;
- Un bel di – Cecilia Rangwanasha;
- Perfect Symphony – J-Something & Sipho Fubesi;
- Natural Woman – Zoë Modiga;
- Torna a Surriento – Sunnyboy Dladla;
- Cruel, Crazy, Beautiful World – Siki Jo-An and Lee Scott.
- Never Enough – Nombulelo Yende;
- Sugarman – Ard Matthews (featuring Juan Oosthuizen);
- The Typewriter – Magdalene de Vries & Cape Town Philharmonic Orchestra;
- Phendula – Zahara & The Chanticleer Singers;
- Dein is mein ganzes Herz – Jacques le Roux;
- When You’re Smiling – Joshua Bouwer.
- Libertango (Piazzolla) – Karendra Devroop;
- Fire is low – Zolani Mahola and Afrikariz;
- Musetta’s Waltz – Lynelle Kenned;
- Toe Vind Ek Jou – Karen Zoid & the Drakensberg Boys’ Choir;
- Votre Toast (Baritone solo) – Bongani Kubheka & the Cape Town Opera Chorus
- The Prayer – Lynelle Kenned, Siyabonga Maqungo, July Zuma & Sunnyboy Dladla;
- Something inside so strong – Lira & the Mzansi Youth Choir.