Shortly before South Africa went into lockdown due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the National Arts Festival team announced that they had made the decision to take the Festival virtual for the first time ever in 2020. Creative Feel spoke to respected arts administrator and recently appointed CEO of the National Arts Festival, Monica Newtown, via video chat about the Virtual National Arts Festival and what life under lockdown looks like to her.
Click on any of the below questions to WATCH the corresponding video interview with Monica Newton. Or follow its natural course by clicking on the page numbers listed below these questions. Which would you like to see next?
- The National Arts Festival has been a definite leader for South Africa’s arts scene during this difficult time, deciding very early on that there was a need to move the festival into the virtual space for 2020. What led you to such a quick decision?
- What are you going to miss most about the physical festival this year?
- What has been (or do you suspect, will be) the biggest hurdle in taking the festival virtual?
- Do you feel that the concept of the vNAF has been positively accepted by the artistic community?
- What does daily life look like for you under lockdown?
- What 3 things could you not live without under lockdown?
- What are you missing most about the outside world?
- Do you think enough is being done to support vulnerable creatives and freelancers in the industry during this time?