Every year since 1977, the International Council of Museums (ICOM) has organised International Museum Day (IMD), which represents a unique moment for the international museum community. On this day, participating museums plan creative events and activities related to the International Museum Day theme, engage with the public and highlight the importance of the role of museums as institutions that serve society and its development. International Museum Day 2019 will focus on the new role of museums as active participants in their communities under the theme Museums as Cultural Hubs: The future of tradition.
The museums in Tshwane have planned a week-long programme from 16 -25 May 2019 that includes free entry to all museums over this period. There will be a coordinated dialogue between youth and adults on this year’s theme Museums as Cultural Hubs: The Future of Tradition on Friday, 17 May 2019 at DITSONG: National Museum of Cultural History in Tshwane from 10:00 – 12:00.
We encourage schools and the public to take this opportunity to visit our museums. Please note that entrance fees are still applicable at some museums so please confirm before your visit. The museums have also developed special programmes for this period but prior booking is essential.
The following museums and institutions are participating in International Museum Week:
- The City of Tshwane Museums including the Pretoria Art Museum, Melrose House and Fort Klapperkop.
- DITSONG: Museums of South Africa, including the National Museum of Natural History, National Museum of Cultural History, National Museum of Military History, Kruger Museum, Pioneer Museum, Sammy Marks Museum, Tswaing Meteorite Crater and Willem Prinsloo Agricultural Museum.
- Voortrekker: Monument and Nature Reserve
- Freedom Park
- Geoscience Museum
- South African Police Services Museum
- South African Post Office Museum
- University of Pretoria Museums
- Veterinary Historical Society of South Africa
- South African Mint
- International Council of Museums (ICOM)
- International Council of Museums (ICOM) – South Africa
- South African Museums Association
- South African Heritage Resources Agency
- National Heritage Council
- Gauteng Department of Education
- Gauteng Department of Sport, Arts, Culture and Recreation
- Tshwane Tourism Association
- Capital Collective