With submissions closing on 3 July, now is the time to get your entry ready to submit!
Held annually, in proud partnership with the Association of Arts Pretoria, this prestigious competition is open to all South African artists who are 18 years and older and have not yet held a solo exhibition. Artists can submit their artworks in all artistic mediums – painting, drawing, printmaking, sculpture, photography, performance art, video and installations.
The focus of the Sasol New Signatures Art Competition is to shine the spotlight on South African artistic talent and create opportunities to showcase undiscovered artists. Being the longest running competition of its kind in South Africa, Sasol New Signatures has over the years provided a platform for unknown artists to break into the mainstream. Professor Pieter Binsbergen, National Chairman, underlined the importance of entering for anyone committed to a career in art and said: “If you have a talent and a craft – the only way to make a living is to get your work seen. You never know who is watching!”
The competition was launched in April and contemporary, innovative and emerging artists with winning aspirations are invited to submit their artworks at one of several collection points around the country on Monday, 2 July and Tuesday, 3 July 2018. Binsbergen explained that the judges look at “artistic concept, the use of materials, the quality of craft and demonstrated skills,” and the panel is looking for outstanding entries, professionally presented and most importantly display ready.
To enter, please visit: http://www.sasolsignatures.co.za.
Read their blog on Info Sessions unpacked for more advice from our Chairman here.
Final submission dates are Monday, 2 July 2018 and Tuesday, 3 July 2018.
From: 10:00 to 16:00 at the following collection points:
- Bloemfontein: Oliewenhuis Art Museum
- Cape Town: WHOW Studios,
- Durban: KZNSA Gallery,
- East London: Ann Bryant Art GalleryJohannesburg: Sasol Place
- Polokwane: The Polokwane Art Museum,
- Port Elizabeth: NMMU Bird Street Gallery
- Pretoria: Pretoria Art Museum
The National Chairperson will be at the the various collection points after the selection process to discuss with the entrants as to why certain entered works were accepted and others rejected. Entrants are strongly advised to attend the feedback sessions.
Collection Points: Feedback Sessions and Collection Dates:
- Johannesburg: Wednesday, 4 July 2018, 13:30 Sasol Place, 50 Katherine Street, Sandton, Johannesburg
- Bloemfontein: Thursday, 5 July 2018, 13:30 Oliewenhuis Art Museum, 16 Harry Smith Street, Bloemfontein
- Durban: Friday, 6 July 2018, 13:30 KZNSA Gallery, 166 Bulwer Road, Glenwood, Durban
- Cape Town: Monday, 9 July 2018, 13:30 WHOW Studios, 2 Ixia Street, Durbanville, Cape Town
- Port Elizabeth: Tuesday, 10 July 2018, 13:30 NMMU Bird Street Gallery, 20 Bird Street, Central, Port Elizabeth
- East London: Wednesday, 11 July 2018, 13:30. Ann Bryant Art Gallery, 9 St Mark Road, Southernwood, East London
- Polokwane: Thursday, 12 July 2018, 12:00. The Polokwane Art Museum, Library Gardens, corner Grobler & Hans van Rensburg Street, Polokwane
- Pretoria: Friday, 13 July 2018, 13:30 Pretoria Art Museum, corner Francis Baard (Schoeman) and Wessels Streets, Arcadia Park, Pretoria
For more information on the competition, artists can visit www.sasolnewsignatures.co.za