Orange Babies’ projects focus on the vulnerable children and women in our country via education and guidance for pregnant HIV positive mothers. Orange Babies was established in 1999 by Senegalese creative, Baba Sylla. Working in the world of fashion, art and design in Europe, he felt a growing need to do something meaningful for the most disadvantaged members of our society, especially in Africa. Orange Babies is a small NGO with an international allure supporting a number of prevention of mother to child transmission of HIV (PMTCT) projects in Africa as well as projects caring for orphaned and vulnerable children (OVC). It also funds several early childhood development (pre-school) facilities. Orange Babies’ ultimate aim is to deliver HIV free babies and to support these mothers and children towards a healthy future to achieve an HIV free generation.
Some of Orange Babies’ achievements include:
- Supporting carefully selected PMTCT/OVC projects in Southern Africa, with a focus in SA on projects in:
- Limpopo: HIV education, a Mobile Health Clinic (Health & HIV testing) and guiding disclosure groups;
- Cape Town: HIV education, nutrition and support towards the children via Community Mothers (40 grannies looking after 30 children daily);
- Lenasia – Feeding scheme, (HIV) education, counselling and a safe haven for 1 000 children and a PMTCT clinic for HIV pregnant women and children;
- Soweto – Prevention of mother to child transmission guidance and education, Community Mothers (gogos) HIV ‘train the trainer’ programme.
- Helping more than 60 000 children infected or otherwise affected by HIV/AIDS,
- Contributing to the scaling down of mother to child transmission of HIV from 30% to below 2% in the Soweto area (3 million inhabitants) in ten years,
- The South African government adopting two Orange Babies projects and incorporating them into national programmes.
We directly engage with our partners via project visits (Mandela day, Youth day), newsletters, and impact measurement reports (M&E), in order to create sustainable support towards the underprivileged in our country. For more information visit www.orangebabies.org.za or on the Dutch (founders) website: www.orangebabies.nl
Have a look at the FNB JoburgArtFair Platforms here:Friends of the Johannesburg Art Gallery The Market Photo Workshop Artist Proof Studio The Bag Factory Artists’ Studios NWU Gallery M Studio Community SA Mint Kuenyehia Trust For Contemporary Art Orange Babies